Sunday 22 June 2008

The Healing Of Touch

I want you to take a moment to think about how you feel when you receive a warm, loving hug from your spouse, friend, or family member? How do you feel when a co-worker comes up behind you at work when you are sitting at your desk and massages your shoulders for you? Do you close your eyes and melt because it's a friendly touch that you really needed?


We are wired from birth to yearn for human touch and to feel loved. Without welcomed human touch from loved ones we are more likely to experience depression, loneliness, self-esteem issues, and children are more likely to disconnect from their parents and get involved in gangs and violent crimes.


On a personal note I remember when I was 18 and I lived on my own for the first time. For six months my life was going to work and then going home to log onto online chat rooms. I was addicted to visiting my online friends and neglected my family and friends and the outside world. I didn't realize it at the time but I was becoming depressed and developed short-term anxiety issues. I remember one day at work a co-worker and friend of mine gave me a very warm hug and I just cried in his chest. I hadn't had any type of human contact for six months. I was stuck in a dark world of loneliness that I self-induced.


Also, you might remember the study done by Harry Harlow that demonstrated the importance of care-giving and companionship in the early stages of primate development. It basically shows how much mammals need to receive love and affection. If you don't recall the study you can read it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Harlow


Massage can be compared to this type of touch in many ways. A therapist may be sending positive, healing energy through your body through their caring touch. A feather touch or lighter pressure during massage might be considered very relaxing to you and is a form of release for negative emotions. Deeper pressure on tight, tense muscles is also a stress releaser because once the therapist smoothes out those kinked muscles your body will feel loose and relaxed, your stress level decreases significantly, and your blood circulation increases. Everything in your body begins to work together in harmony.


You must get regular massages to keep stress levels down and keep this harmonious flow of positive well-being. Don't forget that not only is massage wonderful at keeping the body and muscles stress free, but a caring touch is helpful to keep you in a positive mental and emotional state of mind. I need a massage, how about you?


I am a massage therapist in San Antonio, TX. I specialize in the art of relaxation. Please visit my site to learn more about me and my services.
http://www.amiebyersmassage.com


Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Amie_Byers

No comments: